Choosing the Best Face Wash for a Teenage Girl
Although it can be a little overwhelming to try to choose from hundreds of products you know very little about, there are a few things to look for that can help you narrow down your choices and end up with a great product that will leave your skin clean, clear, and healthy. The first thing to remember is that a face wash for tweens and teens should be gentle.
Why A Gentle Face Wash for Tweens Is So Important
Your skin does many essential jobs. It protects you from bacteria, dirt, and pollutants in the environment. Part of the way it does this is through a layer of oil known as sebum. Sebum helps keep dirt and microorganisms from entering your body. It also keeps the good oils from escaping. This protection is important because these good oils are the moisture that makes your skin look healthy and smooth.
Primarily because of hormonal changes, teenage skin is particularly prone to producing excess oil. This excess oil can clog pores, ultimately leading to acne. It might seem like the best thing to do would be to scrub hard and scrub often – but this heavy-handed approach can backfire. Your skin needs some oil, so your goal when you wash is to strike a balance between removing dirt and dead skin cells while leaving behind enough sebum to keep your skin healthy and allow it to do its job well.
That’s why it’s so important to find a gentle face wash for a teenage girl. You want to remove the dirt, grime, dust, makeup, dead skin cells, and excess sebum that can accumulate throughout the day while preserving some of your skin’s sebum layer. Avoiding harsh soaps can keep your skin from drying out and becoming vulnerable to things that might irritate it.
If you have “problem skin,” - overly dry or oily or that becomes irritated quickly, it’s even more important to use a mild cleanser. A gentle face wash won’t make your skin drier, and it won’t irritate sensitive skin. A gentle product is even the best choice for oily skin. That’s because over-cleansing oily skin can cause even more over-production of oil, leading to a vicious cycle of scrubbing away oil only to find your skin more oily than ever.
What to Look for in a Face Wash for a Teenage Girl
A gentle face wash for tweens is the answer – one explicitly formulated for the unique needs of a teenage girl’s skin. Here are some things to look for in a skincare line to ensure that it will address the needs of your skin properly.
- No rough particles. Many products are both scrubs and cleansers in one. Teenagers with acne may be tempted to scrub and scrub, but this is usually a mistake. Using harsh scrubs on your face can increase oil production and irritate sensitive skin even further.
- No scents or only natural scents. Face washes that match the smell of your deodorant or perfume may be tempting, but most of these scents are chemically produced and could be harmful to acne-prone skin. If you want a product with a pleasant aroma, look for one that harnesses the scents of nature and natural ingredients.
- Choose a moisturizer, too. Many teens get into the habit of washing their face, patting it dry, and going on with their day. This habit dries out the skin and, in turn, promotes excess oil production to compensate. Instead, always follow your face wash with a gentle moisturizer to restore your skin’s natural balance.
Tips for Getting the Most Out of Your Face Wash
When you do find the perfect face wash, it’s still important to use it correctly to give yourself the best chances of achieving and maintaining the gorgeous skin you want. Keep the following tips in mind to be proactive about a healthy skincare routine.
- Wash your face every day. Each day, your skin is exposed to many things, such as dirt, bacteria, sweat, and makeup. Washing your face at night is the most important thing you can do to remove these impurities and keep your skin healthy. Without proper cleaning, dead skin cells, bacteria, and overactive oil glands can lead to breakouts. Also, establishing a regular skincare routine now will set you up for a lifetime of healthy skin.
- Moisturize your skin. Follow your face wash with a gentle moisturizer designed for teens, such as Luv Ur Skin’s Natural Moisturizer for Face, which is suitable for all skin types. When your skin becomes too dry, it may respond by producing too much oil. A good moisturizer replaces the moisture lost through washing and exposure to dry conditions.
- Wear sunscreen. Sun damage will age your skin prematurely and raise your risk of skin cancer. Not wearing sunscreen means that you’re much more likely to experience wrinkles, moles, discolorations, and more – possibly before you’re even 18 years old. Apply sunscreen every morning beneath your makeup and reapply every couple of hours if you’re outside or get sweaty.
- Hands off! You’ve probably heard that popping pimples is a no-no, and this is correct. Picking or squeezing blemishes can result in infections from bacteria on your hands, or it may cause permanent scarring. Instead, keep your skin clean and moisturized, sleep on clean pillowcases, and avoid touching your face (your hands may transfer dirt and oil to your skin).
- Eat a healthy diet. Everyone needs a treat now and then, and it’s good for your mental health to enjoy an indulgence once in a while. However, a diet that’s heavy on junk food can wreak havoc on your skin. Your body reacts to sugary foods with a spike in insulin, which can lead to more breakouts. Watch out for sodas, sweets, and other junk foods, choosing healthy foods such as fruits, veggies, and lean meats most of the time.
- Get plenty of sleep. It’s called “beauty sleep” for a reason! Teenagers need a lot of sleep because you’re growing, which takes a considerable amount of energy. You may also notice that you get more breakouts when you’re stressed. Stress causes inflammation in your body, leading to blemishes. Getting enough rest fights these effects and helps your skin look its very best every day.
What to Avoid in a Face Wash for Tweens
When it comes to your skin, what you don’t do is as important as what you do. There are endless skincare products available containing potentially harmful ingredients and using them regularly could mean that you’ll deal with additional skin problems that could have been prevented. Here are a few of the ingredients you should avoid in your skincare.
- Phthalates. Phthalates are ingredients used to do several jobs, such as dissolving other ingredients, keeping products moist, and softening skin. Unfortunately, exposing your skin to phthalates regularly over time may lead to health problems. Also, phthalates are very difficult for water treatment plants to remove, and these substances can contaminate drinking water as well.
- Parabens. Phthalates and parabens often go hand-in-hand in cosmetic products. Parabens are a family of chemical compounds that skincare companies often use to extend the product’s shelf life and help fight microbes that could cause infection. The problem is that parabens, like phthalates, have been linked to health problems, so it’s best to avoid them whenever possible.
- Sodium lauryl sulfate. Sodium lauryl sulfate and sodium laureth sulfate are found in many facial cleansers, typically used to create that creamy foam you’ve seen in face washes, shampoos, and detergents. Although these ingredients are good at removing dirt, they have some critical drawbacks. Have you ever noticed that your skin squeaks after washing? That’s because sodium lauryl sulfate strips beneficial oils from your skin, drying it out and causing it to compensate by producing too much oil.
- Triclosan. Read ingredient labels, and you’ll find that many products contain triclosan, from toothpaste to face wash. Triclosan prevents the growth of bacteria and extends the shelf life of a range of products. However, there is some concern that triclosan may cause serious health problems such as hormonal imbalances and increased sensitivity to the sun’s UV light.
With so many ingredients to avoid, it may seem as though there isn’t anything left to create a safe, effective face wash for tweens – but this isn’t true at all! Tons of healthy, safe ingredients can be used in your skincare to give you the clear, soft skin you’ve always wanted.
The Importance of Cruelty-Free Products
In your search for a great face wash, you’re probably poring over lists of ingredients, looking for ones to avoid and ones to embrace. However, there is one other thing you should look for in your skincare: cruelty-free products. That means that the products are not tested on animals so that you can enjoy beautiful skin guilt-free. By the way, cruelty-free products aren’t just good for animals. Here are a few reasons to avoid brands that engage in animal testing.
- Animal testing truly is cruel. The animals used in cosmetics labs are typically rabbits, mice, and hamsters, but dogs are also sometimes involved. These animals must suffer unpleasant side effects as researchers subject them to many harmful chemicals and products to create safe products for humans. Fortunately, there are many ways to create safe products that don’t involve harming animals, such as using natural ingredients already known to be safe.
- Cruelty-free products are better for you. Shopping cruelty-free doesn’t only help animals – it also helps you. Makeup not labeled “cruelty-free” isn’t just tested on animals; it is also often made from animal bi-products. For example, your makeup brush might be made of horse, squirrel, or goat fur. One ingredient common in lipsticks – carmine – is made from crushed and blended insects. If you prefer to keep animal parts off your skin, choose cruelty-free.
- Cruelty-free products are easy to find. It isn’t hard to find brands that don’t test on animals. Luv Ur Skin is cruelty-free, for one. Anyone who is committed to buying only cruelty-free products can find them if she does a little research.
- You can be part of the solution. Shopping cruelty-free makes you a vital part of ultimately eliminating animal testing. You’re not only choosing healthier, safer products, but you’re also investing your money and your efforts into an important ethical cause. Young people can make a huge difference!
It may not be easy to find your face-cleansing soul mate, but you can do it with just a little research. Luv Ur Skin is a unique line of skincare products designed to cater to the specific needs of young skin. Your skin is the only skin you have, so it’s essential to take care of it the best you can. That means using high-quality, natural ingredients. Choosing natural skincare means that you’ll be using products that are safe, non-toxic, and non-irritating, even if your skin is very sensitive. Look for a gentle, natural, and cruelty-free product – and use it properly – for the best odds of clean, clear, and healthy skin.
About Luv Ur Skin
Luv Ur Skin is skincare made naturally. We handpick our botanical ingredients and key plant extracts to help you keep your skin clean, clear, and healthy. Our products contain the therapeutic and healing features of essential botanicals and are infused with the scents of nature to provide a positive and uplifting effect. We are also the only skincare range specifically formulated for young skin that incorporates Plantolin, a native Australian plant extract that offers soothing, healing, and medicinal properties. We offer cruelty-free, gentle face wash for tweens and teens that provides a natural yet effective skincare solution. At Luv Ur Skin, we’re creating skincare for naturally beautiful skin.